Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences would like to invite students
from each accredited Doctoral program to participate in the ACJS
Doctoral Summit during the 2018 Annual Meeting. The conference will be held February 13-17, 2018, in New Orleans, LA.
Materials and Submission Deadline:
should be submitted in the following order as one
pdf file to Deeanna Button at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 15, 2017.
Please look for a confirmation of receipt within 48 business
hours. Application pdf files must be saved as Last name, First initial (e.g., Button, D.)
· ACJS pdf fillable
One letter of
Current unoffical transcript
must have completed an M.A./M.S and at least one full
year of the doctoral program or, if the student does not have an M.A./M.S, s/he must be in their third year of the doctoral program.
Up to two
students from each program will be selected to participate.
to participate in the Summit will be awarded a scholarship that
includes the conference registration fee and lodging costs for three nights
(Thursday, February 15 to Saturday, February 17).
share a room with another Summit candidate, and roommates will be matched on
successfully complete all of the requirements will receive a certificate of
completion and official recognition as a Doctoral Fellow of ACJS by
Participation Requirements and Expectations
· Participants must complete 7.5 hours of professional development training, plus an orientation and debriefing dinner.
· Students will prepare for the Summit by completing readings posted on Dropbox.
· Students who fail to complete all 7.5 hours of professional development, and/or attend other required events, will not receive a certificate of completion.
· During the Summit, 7.5 hours of professional development training will be covered over six separate workshop sessions. Four of these sessions are required; the remaining two are required, but elected sessions of their choice.
o Four Required Mandatory Sessions:
§ Networking breakfast
§ Addressing race, ethnicity, and gender barriers in academia (Part one)
§ Addressing race, ethnicity, and gender barriers in academia (Part two)
§ One of the three research-oriented sessions:
· Building your research portfolio: Tips to help you get published
· Sponsored research 101: Tips to writing a successful grant proposal
· But I don’t want to teach? Exploring careers outside of academia
o Two Required Elective Sessions:
§ Life outside of the ivory tower: Finding a healthy work-life balance
§ Overcoming the hurdles to your Ph.D.: Tips for completing the dissertation
§ Navigating the job market in Criminology and Criminal Justice
§ Teaching virtually: Tips for creating an effective and engaging online course
§ Learning by doing: How to incorporate experiential and service learning opportunities in your classroom.
§ So, you got hired! Now what? What to expect as a junior faculty member
· In addition to the 7.5 hours of professional development sessions, students will also attend two other required events:
o Debriefing dinner
Additional expectations for attendance:
· A student may only miss a mandatory session because s/he is presenting research at another scheduled panel, and s/he is the first-author of that paper. The student must make up the missed mandatory session by attending an additional elective session.
· Students must notify the Summit organizers prior to arrival of any/all scheduling conflicts by January 22.
· Students who have more than one scheduling conflict with the mandatory Summit events will be excluded from participating; their scholarship will be rescinded and offered to another student.
ACJS Doctoral Summit
May 15 First Call for Applications
August 15 Second Call for Applications
September 15 Final Call for Applications
October 15 Deadline to Apply
December 1 Notification of Award
December 15 Deadline to Accept Award
January 15 Final Roster Announced and Roommates Assigned
January 22 Deadline to Report Participant Schedule Conflicts
January 29 Pre-Summit Materials and Instructions Emailed to Participants
February 13-17 ACJS NOLA
contact Deeanna Button at email@example.com with any